This Classic Wedge Salad is a crisp, cool and refreshing tasty dish. This perfect side dish is super easy and quick!
Classic Wedge Salad
Wedge Salad is such a fun salad. It is colorful, full of flavor and crisp and fresh. Just like a salad should be. No one knows where these delightful salads came from, but they seem to have come into major popularity ever since steak houses started putting them on the menu. We are not complaining. Such a simple salad, but with such huge flavor. It takes a knife and a fork to eat this impeccable salad!
It can be served on its own or accompaniment to your favorite dishes. Its unique shape and color will draw attention and the taste will pull them in. Serve wedge salad alongside beef, chicken, pork or fish. See below for ideas. This simple wedge of iceberg has made the super fancy salad list. Your whole family is going to love this fun, delicious salad.
What You Need For The Perfect Wedge Salad
Look for fresh lettuce and tomatoes to really help this salad taste its best. Heads of lettuce can vary in size so pick accordingly. Depending on how many you are serving you may need to buy more than one. Some heads are so small that it will work best to cut them in half or just thirds instead of quarters. If you have them, home grown tomatoes cannot be beat! Below I give you a tip to keep your lettuce fresh for up to 2 weeks!
- Iceberg Lettuce: Do not substitute for something else. Icebergs shape is what gives the classic wedge its name.
- Tomato: I used a Roma tomato, choose a firm full flavored tomato.
- Bacon: Cooked and crumbled.
- Red Onion: Finely chopped.
- Blue Cheese Dressing: For the best flavor use homemade, get the recipe here!
- Blue Cheese Crumbles: Use more or less depending on your tastes
Putting a Wedge Salad Together
This amazing wedge salad is so easy! You are going to love how fast it is to throw together and voila! Your salad is done! Ever since wedge salads gained popularity at steak houses they have become known as the fancier salad, then just a bowl full of greens. The fact that it is so easy to make, and yet so fancy to eat make it a choice salad!
- Lettuce: Cut the lettuce wedge in half and cut off the stem. Cut into four equal wedges.
- Top it: Top with chopped tomato, bacon, onion, homemade blue cheese dressing and crumbles.
Tips for the BEST Wedge Salad
With this being one of the easiest salads to throw together, there isn’t much that can go wrong. But there are always a few things you can do to make it the easiest and best wedge salad ever.
- Lettuce: You can prep your salad in advance. Cut the iceberg lettuce into wedges BUT leave the stem on. This will keep the leaves intact better. Wash the quarters carefully, allowing water to run in between the leaves. Drain well. Store in a plastic bag with a paper towel until ready to use. Lettuce will keep like this for up to 2 weeks. If the outside leaves start to turn brown, you ca simply remove them. Cut off the stem right before serving.
- Tomatoes: Use grape or cherry tomatoes halved or quartered for easy, flavorful tomato flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Add some salt and pepper to taste.
Variations for Topping a Wedge Salad
The classic topping for a wedge salad are bacon, tomato, red onion and more blue cheese along with blue cheese dressing. But that doesn’t mean you cannot take a wedge of iceberg lettuce and make it your own. Wedge salads are easily customizable and still will be absolutely delicious. So mix and match to your liking.
- Add Different Vegetables: Try avocados, cucumbers, olives and chopped peppers or celery.
- Add Crunch: Use croutons to add a bit of crunch. Make your own for the best tasting.
- Cheese: Need a different cheese, try cheddar, feta, parmesan or gorgonzola.
- Not a fan of Blue Cheese Dressing: Although blue cheese is the standard, you can substitute for ranch, caesar or creamy parmesan dressing.
- Add Some Protein: Add chopped grilled chicken or steak. Or dice up hard boiled eggs.
What to Serve Wedge Salad With
Wedge salads can be a meal on their own or served as the ideal side. Served alongside a hearty meaty dish is exactly what a wedge salad was made for. They are the perfect beginning to your meal as the lettuce is cool and fresh and the toppings creamy and savory. When you need a great main dish to go with your wedge salad try one of these incredible favorites.
- Beef: Steak with Garlic Herb Butter, Easy London Broil, and Garlic Butter Prime Rib.
- Chicken: Lemon Garlic Chicken, Air Fryer Chicken Breast, and Crispy Air Fryer Fried Chicken.
- Pork: Cast Iron Pork Chops or Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Balsamic Glazed Pork
- Seafood: Air Fryer Shrimp, Grilled Lemon Garlic Scallops and Perfect Salmon.
More Salads We Love
Salads are fresh and inviting. They are perfect way to get more vegetables or fruit into your diet. Salads are great side dishes or light main meals. I love how versatile and creative salads can be. You can combine different flavors that come together in delicious ways. And the dressings! You cannot forget about them! They are the ones that meld all the flavors together in their zingy and zesty ways. Here are some of our tried and true favorite salads to try next time you need one.
- Cranberry Apple Pecan Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
- Southwest Chickpea Salad
- Greek Broccoli Pasta Salad
- How to Make the Best Antipasto Salad
- Very Berry Cheesecake Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 red onion diced
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
Cut the lettuce wedge in half and cut off the stem. Cut into four equal wedges.
Top with tomato, bacon, onion, homemade blue cheese dressing and crumbles.