These are the Absolute Best Mint Brownies Ever! They have a thick fudgy brownie bottom, soft mint middle and a smooth, melt in your mouth ganache top!
We are coming up on St. Patrick’s day and Girl Scout Cookie selling is almost over. With those two things on the brain, I automatically think Thin Mints and all things green. So naturally these insanely delicious green mint brownies were a given. These decadent morsels begin with a thick fudgy brownie layer that is the perfect consistency. Next we cream butter and cream cheese together for a delightful creamy mint filling that you can color green. Then it is topped off with a simple yet rich chocolate ganache that absolutely makes them heavenly.
I love serving these around St. Patrick’s day because of the fun green center, but these make an appearance year round because they are just so good! They are always the biggest hit wherever I take them. That is, if my family doesn’t eat them all first! You have to make these, you will not regret it!
Ingredients for the Best Mint Brownies
This is one of the best brownie recipes around! If you really just need a chocolate fix, you can skip the mint layer and just eat the brownies. But you might have to make another batch so you can actually taste how divine these mint brownies truly are.
- Butter: Use butter at room temperature
- Unsweetened Chocolate: This is unsweetened chocolate bar, not powder.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar will help cut the bitterness of the chocolate.
- Vanilla: Vanilla extract makes chocolate taste more like chocolate.
- Salt: Helps to balance the flavors.
- Eggs: Take out your eggs early enough that they are at room temperature.
- Flour: All purpose and unbleached flour will work perfectly.
- Butter: Again use butter that is at room temperature.
- Cream Cheese: Soften your cream cheese in the microwave or let sit to come to room temperature.
- Mint Extract: You can use peppermint extract as well.
- Green Food Coloring: Add more or less depending on how green you want your layer.
- Powdered Sugar: Provides the necessary sweetness and mixes in better than just sugar.
Chocolate Ganache Layer
- Butter: You will melt the butter so it is ok if it is cold.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: Semi sweet gives the best combination of dark and regular chocolate that blends perfectly with the mint.
How to Make Mint Brownies
There are a few steps to this amazing brownie recipe, but do not be put off by them. These mint brownies come together really easily. You will be enjoying these brownies in no time!
- Prep: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside
- Melt: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate 30 seconds at a time until melted and smooth. Stir in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add in eggs and flour. Mix until incorporated.
- Spread: Spread brownie mix into the bottom of your 9×13 inch prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove and let cool
Mint Frosting Layer:
- Cream: Beat the butter and the cream cheese together. Add in the mint extract, food coloring and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread: Spread on top of the cooled brownies and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Ganache: In a medium sized microwave safe bowl add the butter and the chocolate chips. Melt in the microwave stirring 30 seconds at a time until smooth. Spread on top of mint frosting layer. Chill 1-3 hours until chocolate has set and brownies can easily be out.
Tips and Notes for Homemade Mint Brownies
These are so scrumptious, I am glad that this makes a 9×13 pan. Anything smaller just would not be enough. I would have to actually stop eating them after the first 3!
- Brownie: Homemade brownies are always better, but in a pinch a box mix will do, and they will still taste great! Sometimes we all need a few shortcuts.
- Coloring: Mint brownies are a huge hit everywhere you take them. Change up the color of the mint middle to whatever color you need for your special occasion. Pink or Blue for baby showers, leave it white, or color it red. It’ll be a nice surprise to bite into the cool mint when it is a different color.
- Ganache: Many times ganache is made using cream and chocolate. By using butter and chocolate chips it will create a soft top. With all ganache heat it very slowly and stir often. You do not want to over heat it and cause your ganache to split.
- Add Ins: Mix in extra chocolate chips, crushed cookies, or nuts in to your mint brownies. Add the same to your ganache if you want or decorate with simple sprinkles.
Should I Use Mint Extract or Peppermint Extract?
Great question! There is definitely a difference when it comes to mint vs peppermint. It all depends on your taste for which one you will prefer in your mint brownies. Whichever one you use, know that they both go beautifully with chocolate and can be used interchangeably. Not sure which one to use? Make two batches, it will just give you more to eat that way!
- Mint: Mint is usually made up of a combination of spearmint and peppermint. It has a softer more mild flavor than peppermint and it is not quite as zingy as peppermint would be. It still has a bright flavor however that is refreshing.
- Peppermint: Peppermint is made of just straight up peppermint. It will have more of a crisp, cool, clean minty flavor. It can be a bit stronger but still has that refreshing flavor.
How to Store Brownies
- Store: I love these best when they are cold, so I keep them tightly wrapped or sealed in the fridge for about a week. You can also keep them in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days.
- Freeze: Wrap mint brownies tightly and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
All Things Mint!
Mint and chocolate were made to go together! The zing of the mint perfectly matches the richness of the chocolate. There is a reason Thin Mints are the all time most sold cookie every year when the Girl Scouts come knocking. It is refreshing and helps lighten chocolate when it can seem too heavy. It is an incredible combination. If you are not sure, then try one of these tried and true mint and chocolate recipe to see for yourself.
- Mint Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Thin Mint Truffles
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Homemade Thin Mints
- Thin Mint Milkshake
- 1 cup butter
- 6- ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup flour
Mint Frosting Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- 5 drops green food coloring
- 3 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate Ganache Layer:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
To Make the brownies:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13×9 inch pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate 30 seconds at a time until melted and smooth. Stir in sugar vanilla and salt. Add in eggs and flour. Mix until incorporated.
Spread brownie mix into the bottom of your 13×9 inch prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove and let cool.
To make the mint frosting layer:
Beat the butter and the cream cheese together. Add in the mint extract, food coloring, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.
Spread on top of the cooled brownies and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
To make the chocolate ganache:
In a medium sized microwave safe bowl add the butter and the chocolate chips. Melt in the microwave stirring 30 seconds at a time until smooth. Spread on top of mint frosting layer. Chill 1-3 hours until chocolate has set and brownies can easily be cut.